Social media has changed a lot over the last decade. It’s become a business tool more than a personal one and for musicians, this is especially true. It’s not enough to just make great music, you have to show up in a way that connects people to you. Sometimes it can feel like a chore—but I want to change that. I want it to feel fun again. What if you could do that too?
With social media playing a big role in promoting and reaching new audiences, it’s important to be aware of what’s happening in the world of online platforms and find a way to make it work for you. So, I’ve put together a list of some of the trends we’re seeing pop up, and the different ways you can use them for your music. I encourage you to try them all and see what resonates with your audience. Start with one that sounds fun to you and play around with it for a while. Remember, at the heart of it, social media can and should be a fun way to connect to fans.
Here are some social media trends you should keep an eye on in 2023:
- Short-form content: – These short-form video platforms like TikTok, Reels, and YouTube Shorts are growing in popularity, particularly among younger audiences. Consider creating content for these platforms to reach new fans. Make them your own, and get inspiration from other industries to see what you can do.
- Interactive Content – From quizzes to polls, interactive content is becoming more and more popular on social media. By engaging your audience in this way, you can increase engagement and reach a wider audience. It’s also just more fun! A few ideas: polls for artwork designs, contest for a new t-shirt, voting on a song name, and so on.
- Original Content – You know how we all like to do that thing where we post on one platform then just copy it to another? Yeah, they’re on to us and they’re not into it. In 2023, original content made for the platform you’re promoting is in. Each platform will be pushing content that was clearly made for it. That means no more posting on TikTok then reposting with the watermark on IG.
- Micro-Influencer Marketing – As large corporations and brands are becoming more prominent on social media, micro-influencer marketing is becoming an effective way to reach new audiences, and the best part is that musicians really haven’t tapped into this part of the market. In our campaigns at MP Co, we always include influencer partnerships and we’re seeing it have a lot of success. Consider partnering with micro-influencers in your niche to promote your music.
- Connection-based marketing– Simply connecting with your fans in a real and authentic way is more powerful than ever. The last few years have given rise to less authentic forms of communication and that’s all going away in 2023. Mystery out, transparency is in.
By staying ahead of these trends, you can effectively reach and engage with new fans and grow your audience in a way that not only feels authentic but creates lasting relationships with your fans, while building a full-time music career.